Monday, July 7, 2008

Whither Zinfandel?

A few years ago everyone was drinking Zinfandel. That does not seem to be the case anymore. Remember when you could get a knock out Zinfandel for under $10 bucks? So, what happened?

Like most California wines, they ignored the inflation rates of the 90’s and early 2000’s and kept raising their prices. Zinfandel and “value” used to be synonyms. Now they are oxymorons. In my opion the quality of Zinfandel is not what it used to be. Now, I know everyone is going to throw a name at me, but overall the exciting Zin’s seem to have gone away. Remember the three R’s, Ravenswood, Rosenblum and Ridge? Only Ridge has not been bought up by a liquor conglomerate.

I also think imports have taken a piece out of the Zin boom. Many wines from Spain and Australia have the same fruit profile of Zinfandel, big, ripe fruit up front and a hint of alcohol on the finish. These imports offer the flavors people enjoy at a cheaper price.

There are still a few values out there, I enjoy Seghesio Sonoma, Sausal, Rutherford Ranch, Saucelito Canyon and Franus. I have found these wines are consistent year to year. They are also fairly priced. Give them a try and tell me if I am wrong.
I am sure I will hear about it.

1 comment:

vinojones said...

John- I used to drink Sausal in the early 80's. It was always a great value. Glad to hear they are still around- I'll go looking for some.