Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer Bubbles

Why do we wait for the holidays to drink Champagne or sparkling wine? I think it is ironic, that one of the most thirsts quenching of wines, one that is supposed to be served cold, is designated for the coolest time of the year. Now, I will admit that I am somewhat of a bubbly head. I rarely turn down a glass of the bubbly, any time of the year, but I really like the sparkling stuff in the summer. After a hot day, I like nothing better than a cool refreshing glass of Champagne. It does quench my thirst; it cools me off and changes my attitude on life.

There are so many different sparkling wines on the market. France is not the only quality producer any more, Spain, Italy, South Africa, and the United States all make premium sparkling wines. Some of my recommendations come from these different countries.

First is Cristalino Brut. This is a Spanish sparkler, it has a nice green apple character. It has a good bead of bubbles and a touch of acidity that makes it easy to drink more than one glass. It cost $8, a good value.

Next up is an Italian Proseco. Proseco is what the Italians call their sparkling wines. This one comes from Zardetto. Most Prosecos will be touch sweeter then sparkling wines from other parts of the world. Zardetto has a nose of toast and apples, in the mouth it is fruity and thirst quenching. It will cost you $15.

Finally we step up to the big boy, French Champagne. Henriot Blanc de Blanc is full bodied, scrumptious Champagne. It is made from 100% Chardonnay. This is one of my favorite Champagnes. I love the crispness of the wine. Its long finish, and full bodied taste, makes me want to finish the bottle. Then the trouble would start, just ask…. never mind.

No comments: