Thursday, July 3, 2008

A few good Aussies

This week I was fortunate enough to have some excellent Australian wines. Most people think tasting and judging wine is always fortunate, but there are some wines that it is not always fortunate to drink. But I digress.

The Hazard Hill, Semillon-Sauvignon Blanc 2005, is a really tasty little wine. There is ample fruit character, mostly melon, lemon zest and a little pear. The acidity gives the wine a little zing. The Hazard Hill wines come from cooler regions of Australia. Cooler climate tends to make more acidic grapes. This would be a great wine to sip on a warm night and you know they are coming.

Trevor Jones is a well known producer from the Barossa region of Australia. I had two of his wines that I really liked. (Not that I had wines from him I didn’t like, I just had two of his wine and I like both) (You will find I get easily off track). The first was his Boots Grenache 2005. It has a nice, ripe, cherry quality. It is soft at the mid-palate and then segues into a medium length finish. This wine would be nice with some barbecue chicken. Yes, a red wine with chicken, come on live the wild side! The other Trevor Jones wine was the Jonsey Port. This is a Tawny Port. It is filled with caramel, almonds and crème Brule flavors. I have a sweet tooth and drink plenty of port, trust me this is a beauty.

The final wine to ponder is the Henry’s Drive Shiraz 2006. The bouquet of this wine was a cornucopia of aromas. Plumbs, boysenberries, cherries are all present in the aroma of this wine. On the palate, you get similar tastes. This is a big, bold wine and I like it! And what Henry actually drives I do not know.

No comments: