Saturday, January 30, 2010

Two to find

We have a couple of nice wines for you to try. The first is the White Knight Viognier (every time I say White Knight, I have the Jefferson Airplane going through my head. “The White Knight is talking backwards and the Red Queen”… now it is stuck in your head). This is an affordable Viognier, not something said about Viognier for the most part. The bouquet of the wine is redolent of flowers and honeysuckle (is honeysuckle a flower? If so, I am being redundant) even a hint of apricot. On the palate it converts these aromas into flavors that linger. I think you will like this wine as an aperitif or with light dishes. At $11 it is a great deal for this interesting varietal.

The next wine is Spanish red wine known as Wrongo Dongo. Now don’t ask me what that means, I have tried to get an explanation but have not got a good one. If anyone knows, let me know. Back to the wine. Wrongo Dongo (it does sound vaguely obscene) is a Mourvedre based wine. It has a rich raspberry character, a supple mid-palate and a long finish. A little tannin sneaks in on the finish. What more do you want for $9. For those of you who have purchased Wrongo Dongo in the past the label has changed. It no longer has that hideous yellow label.

“And remember what the doorman said”

No comments: